Thursday, January 15, 2015

Winter Warmth Art Journal page

Here is my second art journal page that Caroline and I have challenged each other with.
This months challenge theme was "Christmas/Winter"


















So lets get to the details.
I adhered some pattern tissue paper to the pages.
After cutting the excess tissue off, I then sanded the edges to get them as close to the page as I could.
The red you see here is left over from last month, when I cleaned off my stencils.
I was a bit worried about this….but I just went with it.






















I used Gelatos for the background colour.
Gelatos remind me of a crayon…I just coloured it on the background and then blended it together with a baby wipe.
I wanted a deep blue (as I wanted it to look like a night time sky) so I added some dark blue colour spray on here as well.
See how the red is still coming through the tissue…I'm still going to go with it.
I told myself it looks like the Northern Lights ;)

















I also wanted to add some snow to my scene.
I used Gesso to paint the snow.
I then added some texture to the snow with an embossing plate that I applied gesso on and used as a stamp.
I knew as I was doing this, that I should have added another layer or so of gesso to the snowbank, but I was too excited to use the embossing plate as a stamp, lol.
















I drew my whimsical house on some scratch paper and then transferred that onto some pattern paper.
Fussy cut the pieces of the house out of the pattern paper.
After adhering the house to the background, I then added snowflakes with some modelling paste and a stencil.

















I printed my sentiment out on the computer and then inked the words before cutting them out.
I wasn't sure which sizing I was going to use, so printed the different sizes off at the same time.
As you can see, I made a slight mistake in my sentiment.
I didn't notice until I was totally done with the page….but I fixed it ;)
I changed it to "Winter Night" instead of "winter day".
















I then used my Big Brush Pitt Pens to add shading around my elements.
This really ties the page together…I love these things :)
I also added some gesso to the tips of the snowflakes, as the embossing paste dried, it took on the colour of the background. The Gesso helped to make the snowflakes more crisp white.





















I wanted to add some highlights to the hearts that are coming out of the chimney, but all of my white gell pens or markers didn't want to work, grrrrrr.
So I tried the Picket Fence distress marker and it gave them a bit of a highlight.

So there you have it my Art Journal page complete :)


















I was in a bit of a fog while making this page and this video.
So excuse the dippiness and enjoy ;)
If you would rather watch the video on my YouTube channel…just click the link "Tracy's Treasures24"
I am so excited to start on my newest challenge.
I think I may give Caroline a heart attack if I finished it early…and I wouldn't want to do that, teehee.
Now go over to "Caroline's" blog and see her masterpiece to our challenge.
So much texture on her page :)

I am linking my project on "The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #8. Something new for the New Year".
I am also linking my project up to "Paper Issues "Say it isn't Snow" challenge.
I am new to art journaling, but using Gelatos was a very first for me :)

I hope you all had a very Creative Thursday :)

Tracy :)

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I love the details and the design!! The background looks amazing!! Have a great evening :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your end result is great!! So many layers and textures. I think art journalling is much too messy for this gal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! I love the little scrolls in the snow. I can imagine you being excited while doing this!! I'm glad you 'went with it' with the colour showing behind, I think it adds to the depth of the background colour :) I think I told you, I love those tiny hearts coming out of the chimney!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched your video!!! LOLOLOL You make me laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, fabulous page, Tracy, really love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful.! Love your background. You did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job. love the background so proud of you and going with the red. good luck with the challenge,

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out awesome!! I love seeing your process!! So awesome Tracy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is amazing. You totally captured a cold, snowy, winter's night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the page and the video very much, can't wait to see the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great art journal page. I really like your wintery sky.Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your whimsical house. Great page!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tracy, this is spectacular! love the layers and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous! Love the snow, the blue tinge - gives it that cold feeling. Love the house and wording. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely art journal page. The wintery scene is so pretty!! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful. Thanks for joining the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a sweet page! i love the starry night sky against that sweet house. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love and I will return it right back to you :)