Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Over prepared? I think not.

Look what Hubby brought home for me :)
It is an external hard drive. Can you believe how tiny it is.
It is really thin as well. Hard to believe it can hold 3 times as much as my old one, and my other one isn't even 1/4 full.





















Not sure if I had mentioned this before or not, but my external hard drive freezes on me every once in a while. I was reading on 2peas that they seem to only last a couple of years!!!!  Yikes!!!
I am obsessive about documenting everything, and I would be so upset if I lost everything on there.
So I am going to put everything on this external hard drive as well as on jump drives and discs.
I was thinking a year on each jump drive and also a year on each disc.
What do you think, is this good enough.
I have all my negatives from my ol' school cameras in negative sleeves in order of date in a binder.
They are also in a fire proof safe with moisture packets in it.
So they are pretty safe.

What about you, how do you save your photos?

Hope you all had a creative Wednesday :)

Tracy :)

11 comments:

  1. I have a huge EH and a smaller one like yours. It also has more storage than the bigger one and was much cheaper. I have had my big one for 5 or 6 years or so with no problems *knock on wood* and the little one about 2 or 3 years. I haven't had issues at all. I had another small one that was a clickfree. What a piece of crap that was! It worked the first time I used it (kind of) and then it never worked again and it lost all my info that was previously on it. I'll stick with my Western Digital. Neither of mine are red though :( Lucky you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on making those memories all safe! I am. It so organized at saving; slowly working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curtis is really good about getting everything on our external hard drives. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post because this reminds me i have to back up my computer!! tfs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the last hard drive I had was huge compared to that, and it crashed :( I lost tons of photos. So yep, EHD's don't last forever either. Thankfully I had the printed photos.
    My back up - printed photos, on-line photos sites, and an on line back up service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new ones are so tiny now! I worry about my EHD all the time - as soon as I start working again, I'm getting a second back up! I have also thought about cloud services but having to upload everything.....would take so much time! But we need to keep our stuff safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't back them up as I should!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job taking care of your information and photos. I back up important data and put in my safety deposit box.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I don't have anything saved! I don't have any negatives, everything is digital and it's all on our computer. Is this bad? I wouldn't even know how to begin to back it up... Mike is the techie person in our family. I just always figured I had hard copies of the pictures so that was good enough, but I guess, what if something happens to the photos?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are really good at backing up all of your photos and such. It really is so important. My computer blue screened once, with all of Tommy (my brother) and AJ's graduation photos on there - before I backed them up. Fortunately, nothing was lost!

    Usually I load all of my pictures onto Shutterfly, then I have a disk printed out for each year after January. I also just got an external hard drive, because I'm afraid my computer is going to die soon! I love the color of yours, mine's just plain black!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a flashdrive to save photos from my old desktop, yet still can't seem to be able to get it to read on my laptop. No patience to try to figure it out...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love and I will return it right back to you :)